Friday 6 June 2008

The birth of Mister October

To my eternal shame at the age when I should expect 50% of the queen’s telegraph I met someone quite decent. While it was only short lived it did lead to the creation of Mister October.

I must admit I had developed a pretty decent handle on things, even the chaos that pursued my life, and that I think was what the lady found attractive. In a strange way I’m not so sure this was what I displayed to her. A child in a sweet shop may have done better.

She was a single mother with two girls who were in the process of trying to find their own identity. Like the whirlwind I can be I gave her what she wanted. I moved into her life, house and bed.

By way of thanks her oldest daughter nicknamed me Mister October.

Given it was the first of this month she reckoned with her mother’s track record that was about as long as I would last. It was about as long as any of her relationships lasted. I made it through to January. Not sure if all she really wanted was Santa Claus or a puppy for Christmas, either way she got both. Problem with puppies is they quickly grow, and by January 23rd the dog had gotten considerably larger and needed to be put down.

Unsure why so quick demise should have happened I retreated to Luxor, Egypt. At times I thought about trying and find a spare tomb to bury myself in. Not easy licking your wounds when your bollocks have been cut off. You tend to find you bleed profusely.

They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Screw that for wisdom. I did however revisit the part I played in my own life.

Had I overplayed my hand and lost the pot?

No, the truth is a lot simpler than that. We just weren’t right for each other.

When it comes to cards I’m really not very good at poker. I did learn one thing though. If I keep my hand closer to my chest and only deal when the time is right I can improve in the game, and maybe, just maybe one day actually win a trick or two.

Yes, I learned a lot from this particular lady. She had her own trouble to sift through. I hope she does. I may be a bad gambler but I’m improving. The whole episode wouldn’t stop me sitting at the next table and hoping next time to at least break even.
/* added the following script for the hit counter */