Thursday 1 May 2008

The White Knight Rides Again

Something happened today to remind me of what use I have on this earth. It's about time I brought it all back into being.

After helping young Brana I reckoned being greedily excessive in everything I do if I could feel good helping one little girl and her family then if I could multiply the ‘odds’ I’d be in seventh heaven.

I heard of a home for children and adolescents with soma mental disorders almost utterly destroyed during the Balkan conflict. I decided that my ego and I could do a job for them.

Armed with a delusional misrepresentation of my abilities and a saddlebag full of dreams I mounted my charger and galloped to their rescue. What I met beggared belief.

If you have an imagination take five, let it run riot, times it by ten and that’s approximately half the destruction I was witnessing. But within this utter carnage a clamour of smiling faces with nothing to smile about made everything alright. Strange as it may sound I felt at home.

Week after week I made a journey on God’s designated day of rest to visit my new friends.

Without trying to draw attention to myself I was drawing attention to myself. Pretty soon to increase my ‘posse’ some ‘soldiers’ who were in need of moral guidance were volunteered by those who inhabit the land of epaulets and pips.

Momentum takes time, unless you’re an army. Pretty soon every child had their own personal visitor. Over the ensuing two years a whole heap of wonderful times were had. For your consumption I may in future revisit these tales.

While the unknowing were quick to misunderstand the powers that drive the decency of human spirit were quietly beavering away in the background. Suffice to say that the home is now rebuilt at a cost of a million units in any financial denomination worthy of mentioning. In this even the albatross had her uses.

This is the stuff of myth and legend, and it’s nice to feel part of, honest.

I'm going to head back there in a week or so to say hello. I might even get a touch of the humility and gratitude I heard displayed today. Best reality check I've had for a while.

Goodnight pussycats.

No comments:

/* added the following script for the hit counter */